Monday, December 3, 2012

Psalm 51 - Lutheran Music and Liturgy

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with Thy free Spirit. (Psalm 51:10-12, 21st Century King James Version)
 
I have had countless complaints about Lutheran liturgy and the overall music. Boring, I've been told. Hmmm.... Somebody has not been listening. Verses 10 thru 12 of Psalm 51 are a wonderful example of why we do what we do during worship.  Sadly, it is no longer a part of many services.  We've been given options.  Some of the options are not so good. 
 
Years ago, one of my sons' friends, who had gone to worship with him, complained about the music. He informed him that Lutheran music during worship is all supported by scripture.  The Lutheran Liturgy is all supported by scripture.  That is why we do what we do.
 
During Lutheran Worship you are hearing the word and the Word.  There should be no part that is not supported by scripture; that is not proclamation in some form.  Ok... maybe the announcements after worship, but not during. 
 
In singing the words, "create in me a clean heart, O God..." we are not only confessing our sins, but acknowledging that God can and will do this thing.  We are acknowledging that we need the Holy Spirit; that we need and desire God's presence.  We are acknowledging that only by the power of God can we know the joy of His salvation. 
 
Lutheran liturgy and the overall music is not boring, unless you refuse to engage yourself in it, unless you refuse to participate.  Nothing worse than singing alone, especially when one (I) can't sing.  Years ago, immediately following the Great Thanksgiving, I stopped a congregation and told them that we would receive Communion when we could give thanks to God and actually sound like we meant it.  It was much better the second time around!  You have no idea how much fuller the service is when we actually all participate!
 
I see I'm side-tracked again.  Back to the main thing! Create in us clean hearts, O LORD, renew right spirits within us, and restore unto us the joy of Thy salvation, that we might glorify your holy name.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: