Friday, December 7, 2012

Psalm 55 - Smooth as Butter

The Psalmist sounds pretty unhappy again this morning.  Sometimes, it seems just a bit much.  But, I think many of us have probably been there at one time or another.  Enemies attack and even those whom we thought were friends attacked and our only help was in the LORD.  We were surrounded and although we wished we could fly away and escape the assault, we could not.  We were stuck and only God could help.  Assaulting back would do no good.  It would only makes things worse.

When I was first married, my husband use to accuse me of being too trusting.  Then I got burned a few times, no, many times, by those who presented themselves as people who were friends and who cared.

Maybe, it's not a good thing to be so suspicious.  But, I learned to watch for signs in potential relationships that everything was not as it seemed.  I learned to listen for them.  One, of the things, the lessons, that life taught me was to listen for words that are as smooth as butter, more soothing than oil.    I learned over the years that the ones who would hurt me most were not those who presented themselves as an enemy, but those who presented themselves as friends. If someone smiles and is happy all the time when they are around us, if they always agree with everything we say, then maybe we should be prepared to duck and run for cover. It is a sad commentary, I suppose, that I learned in life to not trust everyone.  But, it is reality.  It is a very sorrowful thing to be assaulted or betrayed by a friend who turns out to be an enemy. It was for me and it is for those who find themselves in this situation today.  Sadly, the reality is that there are more than a few of you who are being persecuting by those you thought were your friends, even today. 

Eventually, I was able to trust, again.  However, I realize that now the trust that I place in people is only because I trust God and I trust God working in and through them. 

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. But you, God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of decay; the bloodthirsty and deceitful will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you." (Psalm 55:22-23 NIV)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: