Monday, December 24, 2012

Psalm 72 - Conclusion of David's Prayers


"This concludes the prayers of David son of Jesse." (Psalm 72:20 NIV)

Yes!  This concludes the prayers of David.  It's been a reminder that God hears those who are persistent in their prayers.  But, I have to say, I was getting a bit worn by all this begging. As I read the last verse, I was reminded of the story from Luke 18 about the unjust judge and the persistent widow.  She kept going back and begging the judge for justice against her adversary, until he finally relented.  "And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?  I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” (Luke 17:6-8)  

David, the son of Jesse, was definitely persistent in his prayers.  The LORD sure has more patience than I do.  I would have gotten tired of him begging for justice long before just so I wouldn't have to listen to him.

But, today is Christmas Eve, and the answer to all the prayers is about to be celebrated!  The King above all kings, the Savior of humankind, God incarnate, born in a stable to answer the prayers who call upon His name.

Have a blessed Christmas Eve and may the peace of the LORD be with you through this Holy Night. Pr. J

No comments: