Saturday, December 22, 2012

Psalm 70 - What Motivates Meanness?

The Psalmist makes another plea for help - to be saved from his enemy.  Up before 4 a.m. again, wondering exactly why it is humankind actually thinks it necessary to bring ruin to others in the first place.  I particularly have a hard time understanding, not so much the outright meanness, but the passive-aggressive verbal, mental, and emotional abuse that goes on. What motivates people to be so hateful? I am not even sure if they even have a clue how much they hurt others, by their self-centered life-styles. If they did, would it stop, would they stop?  Or, would the meanness just get worse as they revelled in their ability to persecute others?

The only thing that I can come up with is that they simply do not know the LORD. They may say they are Christians, but the fruit does not bear witness to that? They know a little about Jesus, but they do not know Him.  I cannot help, but feel empathy for them.  It must be a very lonely place that they are at. In the meantime, they continue to attack even those who love them.

So, for this morning, I think I shall pray: Hasten, O God to save our enemies, open ears, hearts, minds to a greater understanding of Your Word, Your good will for them and all people, that we all might be helped.  

'The LORD is great!" (vs 4) He is greater than great! He is my help and my salvation. He is your help and your salvation. 

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: